Friday, December 1, 2017

Introduction – New Education Intern

Hello everyone! My name is Shelby and I am the newest intern here at the swamp and I work in the education department. I am a native Floridian and only about a 2 hour drive from my home in Boca Raton, Florida. I am a graduate of Florida Atlantic University. Go owls!

My professional background is in animal care, working in wildlife rehab, and in the past I have worked directly with marine mammals and exotics. I am a self-proclaimed bird-nerd, and have a strong interest in raptors – especially vultures.

Here at Corkscrew, my time will be mostly consumed by teaching 5th and 2nd grade students who visit the sanctuary. I am very passionate about educating the public and especially kids about how important it is to conserve our wildlife. I truly believe that what you learn about you’ll grow to love, and if you love it, you’ll want to protect it! Just like I do. It’s up to us to show the next generation how valuable our environment is here. This is a great responsibility that I do not take lightly, but I love to have fun with the kids while we explore the swamp.

It has only been a couple of weeks since I’ve arrived and I have learned so much. Every day is a new adventure and there will always be more to learn out here. I hope you will enjoy reading about my adventure here, as I am lucky enough to stay until May 2018.
I can’t wait to share some of it with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment