Wednesday, April 4, 2018

My day with The Croc Docs

Throughout the past few years, I have been exploring my newfound interest in reptiles and amphibians. One of the many projects we work on here at Corkscrew is the Everglades Invasive Reptile and Amphibian Monitoring Program in partnership with The Croc Docs. Unfortunately, the recent hurricane destroyed our survey route at Corkscrew, so our survey has been postponed until we can determine a new route.

My passion for amphibians and reptiles has been shared with many coworkers and guests here through my posts on Facebook and excitement when an individual is found. My boss, Dr. Shawn Clem, knew of my excitement for these species and helped set me up with The Croc Docs to go on one of their monitoring surveys! 



Last Thursday I started my morning in Davie checking tegu traps with a graduate student with The Croc Docs. The Argentine Black and White Tegu is a large, invasive lizard that has started a breeding colony in two counties in Florida. The first tegus found in the wild of Florida were believed to have been released or escaped pets. Efforts are currently in place to try to remove all individuals that are found in the wild.




During my day with The Croc Docs, 160 traps were checked and reset for another day of trapping. Two types of live animal traps are set with eggs to attract the tegu. During our sampling on Thursday, we had two individuals in the traps, and both were removed from the ecosystem. I had mixed feelings about the day - I was excited to see these huge lizards (an individual can reach up to 4 feet long!), but then I remembered that I was seeing them here because there is a large population of this invasive species. The tegu has the potential to impact threatened and endangered species such as the American Crocodile, sea turtle species, and ground nesting birds, by preying on their eggs. 

  
(Young Florida Water Snake (left) and Ring Necked Snake (right))

Later on that day, I went on a night survey with the crew for their Everglades Invasive Reptiles and Amphibian Monitoring Program. The excitement continued with sightings of many native species such as the Pig Frog, Florida Water Snake, Brahminy Blind Snake, and Ring Necked Snake, along with some native mammals such as the Marsh Rabbit, and Virginia Opossum. All these sightings are a great sign, as each of these species has the potential to be displaced by non-native species invading Florida. 

(Colorful underside of a Ring Necked Snake)

This day with The Croc Docs was fuel for my interest in reptiles and amphibians, and a small look into the grand scale of invasive species of Florida. Thank you Dr. Clem for presenting me with this opportunity, and thank you to The Croc Docs for teaching me so much! For more information on The Croc Docs and their programs, visit: http://crocdoc.ifas.ufl.edu/currentprojects/

-Kelsie  (Research Intern)









No comments:

Post a Comment