Tuesday, October 9, 2018

An Unexpected Friend

         This last week working with the Corkscrew Swamp Research team I went into a portion of the swamp deemed the Central Marsh Transect (CMT), a location frequently sampled for wetland fishes. The crew had gone out the previous day and set minnow traps. Minnow trapping is an especially interesting type of fish sampling as it requires placing several traps that have a variety of large and small sized mesh around the area being sampled. The traps have two sides that act as funnels, allowing fish and other wetland invertebrates inside, but preventing their escape. The traps are placed either completely or mostly underwater and are left there for 24 hours before their removal.
         As we began our task of finding and collecting the previously set minnow traps, it seemed like an average day. Several traps were empty, while some contained Crayfish and/or Mosquito fish. Little did we know, our last few traps had quite the surprise in store for us. As we reached the wet prairie we pulled up a minnow trap that had been set by some Alligator Flag, and in it was a small brown and black snake! I had never seen a snake get caught in one of these traps, or even seen many wild snakes. I was elated that we had such a good trap!


         At first my partner and I were nervous to touch it and were unclear what to do with it now that we had caught it. Luckily another crew member quickly identified the snake as a Banded Water Snake (Nerodia fasciata). She then opened the trap and began to investigate whether the snake would be too upset with us to be handled. The little snake seemed unbothered, and without another question I leaped at the opportunity to hold my first wild snake! The little snake was so calm as he crawled up onto my arm. We proceeded to measure his body length before setting him free back into the wet prairie. We then continued about our tasks of collecting the remaining minnow traps. Overall though, I must say, it was a very successful day in the swamp!I can't wait until I get to run into one of these little friends again!

- Evan, Conservation Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment