Thursday, March 7, 2019

Another one fledges from the nest

Collecting minnow traps on a CHILLY (40 deg) morning
It feels bittersweet to be wrapping up my final week as an intern at Corkscrew. While the last 6 months have absolutely flown by, I've also somehow learned an incredible amount since I arrived here in September. Before this internship, I had never worked in a wetlands ecosystem before, and I certainly didn't have a solid understanding of the Everglades. From fish sampling to wading bird surveys to prescribed burning, I've gotten my feet wet, so to say, and have had the incredible opportunity to experience the beauty of southwest Florida through the lens of a field biologist.

Assisting in my first (HOT) prescribed fire
All the amazing wildlife that Florida has to offer allowed me plenty of opportunities to expand on two of my favorite hobbies -- birding and nature photography. It certainly doesn't hurt to live just a few steps away from the boardwalk! By far the best part about living on site was being able to access the swamp during the quiet hours of dawn and dusk. The cacophony of singing Carolina Wrens, the harsh calls of chatty Red-shouldered Hawks, and the convincingly hog-like grunts of Pig Frogs are all sounds that have become comfortingly familiar to me. I've even grown fascinated by creatures that I've never really had an interest in before, like snakes!

Male bobcat on the boardwalk at dusk

Ringneck snake found on a herp survey
Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Big Cypress Research Symposium 2018
Working at Corkscrew for half a year truly allowed me to immerse myself in the vastly unique world of South Florida in a way that no other experience could have done. I am incredibly grateful for all the mentors and coworkers I've worked and lived with day and night, and who ultimately have become my good friends. For now, I'm excited to begin my next adventure working on an endangered grassland bird research project on the other side of the continent in Oregon this summer!

Feel free to reach me at my email address, larajones26@gmail.com, if you'd like to keep in touch with me beyond Corkscrew!

~Lara

No comments:

Post a Comment