Friday, October 18, 2019

Another new conservation intern!


Hi!

My name is Sam, and I was born and raised in South Florida although I’ve been away from home for a while. I graduated from Smith College in Massachusetts with a degree in Biology in 2018. At Smith, I worked with salamanders in the Eastern hemlock forest as well as snails in the rocky intertidal zone. Both studies focused on responses to predation pressure, because I think trophic cascades and predator-prey interactions are one of the most interesting aspects of ecology.





I have researched oyster aquaculture in Seattle, monitored Pacific salmon in Oregon, and done behavioral research on Scimitar-horned oryx at Fossil Rim Wildlife Center in Texas. I love all aspects of ecology, and one of the best perks of this field is constantly being able to explore and travel to new places; I even got to do research in an Australian rainforest during college!







It's also nice to return home, too. I am excited to work in our unique Everglades as an Audubon Corkscrew Conservation Intern. I’ve been here about a month already and have gotten to participate in fish sampling, as well as herp and bird surveys. I enjoy herping in my free time and now it’s part of my job!


No comments:

Post a Comment