Thursday, November 7, 2019

Experiencing Nature through Education

New Education Intern!

At work on Halloween, dressed as Mrs. Frizzle

Hello everyone! My name is AnnaFaith and I just started with the Education Team here at Corkscrew. I was born in Massachusetts and I grew up in Rhode Island. I graduated from Prescott College in August 2019 with a BA in Natural History & Ecology. I studied on campus in Prescott, Arizona from August 2015- January 2017 before spending a semester abroad at the Kino Bay Field Station in Sonora, Mexico. In May 2017, I moved to Acadia National Park in Maine to serve as the Raptor Intern and take classes at the nearby College of the Atlantic.

HawkWatch on top of Cadillac Mountain in Maine
After a year in Maine, I returned to Rhode Island. I finished my degree in the Prescott College Limited Residency Undergraduate Program. I received credit by completing internships with Norman Bird Sanctuary and the Audubon Society of Rhode Island; student teaching; and taking online courses. In addition to working in education, I’m passionate about federal public lands issues and I’m currently serving on the Board of Directors for the Public Lands Foundation. Outside work, I love playing guitar, singing, and birding. I’m thrilled to be here at Corkscrew and am very much looking forward to the next six months.
 
Connecting Students to Nature

From my very first phone interview, I could tell Corkscrew is an incredibly special place. I’m already loving my work here. My very first week, I was able to attend the statewide Audubon Assembly. It was exciting to learn about operations across Florida, and to see so many different facets of the organization. I’ve only been here a few weeks, but already feeling like it’s the best job I’ve ever had.

Students on a Wild Florida school trip watching raccoon

Each time I venture onto the boardwalk, all I can think is that I’ve moved to a paradise. With students or on my own, I feel like I see new wildlife each time. From a charismatic Raccoon family to elegant Spotted Fishing Spiders, I’m captivated no matter where I look. I’m especially grateful for the chance to share this place with others as a member of the Education Team. Hands-on experiences in nature are vital for the health and well-being of students. By exploring the outdoors, and finding joy in natural history, children form connections to nature that foster principles of lifelong stewardship. I’ll close with a question to our readers: 

What is your earliest memory of nature? Have your early experiences with the natural world had an effect on your outlook today?

No comments:

Post a Comment