Wednesday, May 16, 2018

New Resource Intern

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing, shoes, tree and outdoorMy name is Amanda, and I am the new Resource Intern here at Corkscrew. I have lived most of my life in the small town of Granville, Ohio, which is about 30 minutes east of Columbus.

About a year ago, I graduated with honors in Biology from Grinnell College, a small school in central Iowa. I have been interested in wildlife and the outdoors for as long as I can remember, and I did my best to take advantage of the opportunities my school presented me for gaining new experiences in those areas. During my junior year, I was able to study abroad in the beautiful rainforests of Queensland, Australia, where I first became really interested in conservation. I also, under the direction of my advisor, conducted research on monarch butterflies and milkweed at Grinnell’s environmental research station. Following graduation, I interned at The Wilds, a 10,000-acre conservation center in southeastern Ohio located on reclaimed strip mine land, where I conducted bird surveys and vegetation surveys, as well as helping out with other projects, like American Burying Beetle releases and Hellbender research.
Image may contain: 1 person
 
















Until now, most of my experiences have been more research focused. Therefore, I am very excited to participate in the Land Stewardship Internship here at Corkscrew Swamp. It is also exciting to me to get to know a new ecosystem that is so different from what I'm used to in the Midwest. In the short time I have been here, I have already learned how to identify and treat several species of invasive plants. I hope that this internship will be an opportunity for me to learn more about resource management, and help me to gain a broader perspective on what conservation and management entails.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment