Monday, May 7, 2018

Shelby's farewell


It is hard to imagine that six months have gone by since I've been at Corkscrew. I've watched the swamp go from very high water levels after hurricane Irma, to now almost dry as a bone, and I can't help but think of all the changes in my own life since being here.

When I first started, I thought that half a year would be such a long time. Now I see how quickly the time can go, especially when you don't want it to be over quite yet.

It's teacher appreciation week, making this an appropriate time to reflect on what it means to be an educator. I think there is a misconception about teachers and how they are the authorities on everything, but this is simply not true. As an educator, I am always learning. Each and every day I am exposed to something completely brand new and exciting that I can take with me and pass along to someone else.


I can honestly say that before going into this internship, I never thought I would be introduced to so many new concepts and ideas, incredible connections, different flora and fauna, and then come out a better person and professional in the end.

Because my supervisor understands the importance of learning all that I could, I was lucky enough to cross-train in different departments here. I got to assist our resource team with prescribed fire, and the research team with their fish sampling and aquatic fauna surveys. Both projects gave me a completely new understanding of how all the different departments at Corkscrew work together towards the same goal - conserving this beautiful place for future generations.


I thought that I was a pretty good birder before coming here, but Corkscrew has seriously upped my birding game. Conducting monthly bird surveys, and being a team captain for Corkscrew and Marco Island during the annual Christmas Bird Count was not only an absolute honor, but it's mind-blowing how many new birds and their calls I have learned in my time here.

Even getting to monitor our bald eagle pair on Corkscrew's property for the last six months, and watching the chicks grow up since the week they were born until the week they fledged the nest was also such a beautiful experience that I will never forget.

Other noteworthy highlights were of course seeing a Florida panther for the first time, taking my first Florida Master Naturalist class, writing my first published article, volunteering with sparrow banding with Corkscrew Regional Ecosystem Watershed (CREW), helping on a bat project with FWC, getting to view the most beautiful sunsets from the beach, and even some personal achievements like learning to cook with my roommates and developing a regular yoga practice outside with the Wood Storks flying over us.

And last but certainly not least, I have made some amazing friends and wonderful new connections between staff, volunteers, and visitors on my tours.


 To my roommates at the Gator Hole, the one's that have come and gone, and the one that I'm leaving here- it's been wonderful getting to know each and every one of you. Keep up those sparkling personalities, and keep doing great work

-Intern Shelby



No comments:

Post a Comment