Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Species Profile: Peninsula Newt

I had a professor at my university who LOVED newts. He used to teach us lessons using newt memes. I never gave much thought to newts, or salamanders, or even frogs, especially after I found my passion in fish. However, working at Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary has piqued my interest in herpetology. When we set minnow traps out in the Bald Cypress swamp, we end up catching a couple individuals of a specific newt species. That species is the Peninsula Newt (Notophthalmus viridescens piaropicola).





The Peninsula Newt is a subspecies of the Eastern Newt (Notophthalmus viridescens) that is darker and lacks red spots. This subspecies received its name (piaropicola) from the fact that it is often found among water hyacinths (Piaropus). It is native to Florida and likes slow moving bodies of freshwater, like swamps, and has a restricted range that includes the part of peninsular Florida that is south of Alachua County. Adults of this species can reach a maximum length of 12.4 cm, reach sexual maturity at 3 years of age and can live as long as 15 years. Adults are also likely to cannibalize on the young and use both chemical and visual cues to locate food. It is typical for the Peninsula Newt to skip the red eft stage of metamorphosis and grow directly into an adult. 


After looking into and holding this newt species, I  think I can agree with my teacher and add “learning about herps” to my list of passions. 


-Kendall, Conservation Intern 









No comments:

Post a Comment