Wednesday, August 14, 2019

The Wolf Reflects in Ripples of the Swamp



I was a 90/10 Resource/Research Conservation Intern here at Corkscrew. My 10% research included trail cam processing and the occasional species survey, otherwise I was always on Resource in the battlefield against invasive species. I learned more species identification such as invasive species and bird species. I learned hands on operational and maintenance skills with chainsaws and 4wd vehicles like our swamp buggies and ATVs. I wrote an operational procedures manual outlining the maintenance and usage of these as well as other tools and equipment. I was also part of two prescribed fires including mop up where I learned about the amount of foresight that has to go into the fire plan and the suppression techniques. 


As my internship comes to a close, I reflect on my time here at corkscrew. It isn’t like me to sugar coat things because I am a very direct person who prefers the straight truth. That being said, this internship was a very tough experience. There were a lot of negative times that I had.
That isn’t necessarily a bad thing however, I really grew because of it. 



Resource management is hard work especially in Florida where temperatures feel as hot as 120 degrees in the field. You screw up more often, you dehydrate fast, and you get annoyed with the people you work with even quicker. Heat will do this but you always had to remember that you are still working in a professional setting. I had a hard time getting a firm handle on this concept until about the fifth month of my sixth month internship where I managed to change my mindset and just appreciate everything around me.
The biggest lesson I learned from interning here at corkscrew was professionalism and how to adapt by merely changing my state of mind. I learned how to better work with people and how my wording when I speak can be misconstrued very easily and offend people who are not familiar with me. This is common sense written down but I did not fully gage the extent of it and have experienced blow backs because of it during my internship (I am thankful I learned this during an internship and not a career job). I have learned that complaining with a fellow coworker only puts your mind in a negative state and that it is a poor reflection on you to continue doing it. 
 This is what I obtained from my internship here, personal growth.

During my rebirth I have realized that I want to go back to school to pursue a degree in Sustainability business geared towards Water quality and Ecohydrology. I am passionate about ecology and have always caught myself transfixed with hydrology (water movement and quality). 


From growing up in a swamp, enjoying the currents of the ocean in my kayak, falling in love with Wilson’s Creek at Pisgah National Forest, being enamored with Rainbow Falls at the Great Smoky Mountains, to once again returning to the Florida wetlands- I am excited to move on with what I learned and to open more doors on my way wherever I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment