Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Center for Birds of Prey


Across Florida, there are over 40 Audubon chapters and over 90 employees working to protect birds and their habitat. Several weeks ago, I was fortunate to visit the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey (CBOP) in Maitland, Florida. CBOP rehabilitates raptors and educates the public about their care, biology, and role in our environment. When raptors can’t be released after rehabilitation, they are housed at the center or relocated to educational facilities across the country. 

Their education manager, Laura VonMutius, welcomed me to shadow her for the day. Although I’ve known about CBOP for almost a year, arriving at the center was a wonderful surprise. They have over 50 resident raptors, of 20 different species. Many of the mews (outdoor enclosures for raptors) are available for the public to view, and some of the birds are even kept outside during the day. 

As I mentioned in my last post, I’m a firm believer in the power of experiential education. Education birds are raptors that are trained and acclimated to assisting with public programs. Although Education birds don’t allow the same hands-on opportunities as some other animals, they carry an incredible power when brought into a room. Adults and children are mystified in their presence. When I look back on my visit to CBOP, I think about the ripple effect they’ve had in their 40 years of operation. How many birds have they rehabilitated and released? How many others have been nurtured in captivity, and how many people have those birds taught?

~AnnaFaith, Education Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment