Thursday, March 30, 2017

Orchard Orb-Weavers

Who doesn’t love a good orb-weaver? These charismatic spiders have long, dramatic legs, unique abdomens, and impressive webs to boot. The sharp angles, large bodies, and bright colors can be frightening to an untrained eye, but orb-weavers are shy and nearly harmless.
 An Adult Female Orb-Weaver
Photo by Andrea Westmoreland licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0

Now that it is spring at Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary, the Orchard Orb-Weavers (Leucauge venusta) are abundant. I was treated to dozens of these beauties one morning as I was treating a nasty invasive plant called Brazilian pepper (Schinus terebinthifolius) in a mixed forest. Brazilian pepper is easier to identify by its leaves and berries than the trunk, so I walked through the trees looking up and tracing the foliage back to the base, where I applied the herbicide.

The height at which the Orchard Orb-Weaver prefers to build its horizontal web varies by maturity, but my head level was undeniably in the range. In my quest for Brazilian pepper, I ate quite a bit of web. On nearly each aggregation, I saw a large and glossy female and a much smaller, less impressive male off to the side which leads me to believe that it is mating season for these annual spiders.

They may be common around Corkscrew, but I get excited every time I see their attractive green, orange, and white patterns. After all, that is why they are called the ‘Jewel of the Swamp’ (okay, only I call them that, but I think it could catch on). I’m not the only one who appreciates their good looks - Leucauge is Greek for “with a bright gleam,” and venusta is Latin for charming, elegant, or beautiful.

The good news is that Orchard Orb-Weavers are found over the entire continental US, though regional variation exists. The next time you see a round horizontal web in a moist wooded area, take the time to check for a ‘Jewel of the Swamp.’

Read more about Leucauge venusta and see photos here.

Source:
Leucauge venusta”. Spiders.us. 28 April 2016 <http://www.spiders.us/species/leucauge-venusta/>.

---Until Next Time
Kristina

No comments:

Post a Comment