Friday, June 15, 2018

After Work Ritual II

Hey Folks,

It has been a bit since I last showed photos from my after work walks on the boardwalk. Since it is summer time our field work decreases, and we are mainly in the office entering data. I have a little over 2 months left, and I need to take advantage of walking on the boardwalk. Every time I go out on the boardwalk I experience something different than my last walk. Here are some of those photos.


In my feeding frenzy blog post, I showed you the north lettuce lake still filled with a lot of water and birds. However, in the photos below you can see how dry the lettuce lake got. We were almost at a complete dry down before the summer rain started.





On the other side of the north lettuce lake you can see how dry the lake got. It was nice to get a different perspective of the lake being dry since I had seen it filled with water when I got to Corkscrew. I thought it was a cool to see the alligators tracks throughout the lake.




Green Heron
At the south lettuce lake we had two Green Heron fledglings who were inseparable! I only saw the parent once nearby, but most of the time these little ones were on their own. They were so precious, they did everything together from fishing, to exploring the tree they were on, and the surrounding area. They hung out at the south lettuce lake for a couple weeks before they left the nest some point at the end of May.


Red-Shouldered Hawk


This Red-shouldered Hawk was 4 feet from my face one evening on the boardwalk. I was closing the boardwalk this afternoon. I was walking with a man who was pushing his wife on a wheel chair, they were visiting from Michigan. We were walking towards the north lettuce lake when all of a sudden I notice this hawk on the branch right in front of our face. I am not going to lie, when I saw its dark brown eyes he spooked me at first. It blended in so well that I probably would have walked past it. We had to go right by it to continue to the rain shelter by the north lettuce lake. As we continued to approach the hawk it stood its ground and was not scared or alarmed by how close were to it. After the man and his wife walked by, the hawk was completely unfazed. Then it was my turn to walk past it. I took this photo when I was right in front of it, and I could feel its focused eyes burning through my camera. The eye contact was intense, and it did not take its gaze off me until I went past it. Also I have to mention that I was wearing my BRIGHT HOT PINK wind breaker. I thought that this color would make me look like a threat, and that it could possibly attack. However, I am here to say that I walked by this beautiful creature unscathed haha!





Green Tree Frog







Another evening I was walking on the boardwalk when my eye caught this Green Tree Frog camouflaged pretty well on the boardwalk. Green Tree Frogs can be green, and gray like this one. I managed to get close to it, and it was unfazed by me as well.




Northern Parula 
One evening Shelby and I were on the short loop heading towards the north lettuce lake. As we are walking  we hear frantic chirping. We got closer to the bush that had all this commotion, and found a Northern Parula feeding its fledgling. We sat at this spot with our binoculars observing the parent coming in to feed its young, and flying away to catch more insects. Every time the parent got near the fledgling would chirp a lot which let us know that its parent was back to feed it. While the parent would fly off to catch more food, the Northern Parula fledgling would take a nap while it waited for its parents return. It was one of the most precious interactions I have ever seen, and one of my favorite memories from Corkscrew. After 30 minutes of observing, capturing photos, and videos through our binoculars it was time to go. In the first photo you can see the fledgling sleeping.




Green Heron, Great Egret



The photo on the right was on an evening when the north lettuce lake was drying, and there were multiple birds foraging there. However, I spooked this Green Heron when I got to the lake. The Green Heron loudly called, and I am assuming it was angry that I had disturbed it. It quickly decided to get back to foraging. I was so happy to see it, because Green Herons are not only my favorite wading birds, but it is the one I see less at Corkscrew. Not only that, this Green Heron decided to forage out in the open with all the other wading birds, which I thought was interesting for a Green Heron. They usually like to forage on the banks or on branches. This Green Heron was also very particular on who was in its personal space which I thought was hilarious.   





Caterpillar I found on the boardwalk
I do not have quite the deep experience with this caterpillar. However, I just really appreciated its existence when I saw it. I have never liked bugs, and have always had quite a phobia of them. However, since working at Corkscrew I have found a deeper understanding, and appreciation for the bugs around me. I would have never thought that I would take a photo of a caterpillar, but here I was, snapping photos because I loved how black it was with red on its face. I have made some progress with bugs, especially during our aquatic fauna sampling days where we might encounter beetles and dragonfly larvae. However, I still am not able to just pick one up for fun on the boardwalk. Maybe one day.







This was during another boardwalk closing, I was walking out a lovely married couple that were visiting from Switzerland. I was giving them some background on the wildlife at Corkscrew. As we were heading to the north lettuce lake it started to rain, however, the sun was shining while it was raining. I have only been caught in a handful sun showers before, but they make me very happy. There is a strange, but beautiful feeling about getting rained on when the sun is bright and shining. It always feels right. Thankfully the guests thought so as well, and we were not bothered that we were getting soaked. Once we arrived to the lettuce lake, we were greeted by this bright rainbow. I took this as a sign that great things were to come, a bright future perhaps.








Thank you for following my after work ritual. This is not as epic as my panther sighting, but I hope you enjoy these experiences I have had.
-Melissa 

No comments:

Post a Comment