Thursday, July 26, 2018

Knowing Your Neighbors and Understanding Your Surroundings

Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Green Tree Frog
Since I have come to know Corkscrew, one of the best experiences to me is learning about the plants and animals that I see inhabiting this area. I have recently gotten into birding, and this excitement of being able to identify which bird species you are seeing/hearing is a recent passion I have discovered. I expressed interest to my parents about filming/taking photographs of wildlife before I started interning, being inspired by documentaries. Then they got me a camera. I brought my camera here and now I get excited when I see a new animal species I have not photographed yet. Even if I have taken a photo of it, it is still a treat to take a picture of the animal in many different settings doing different activities. Using both my phone and camera, I have definitely shot very pretty things. Here at Corkscrew it is a thrill to get to see wildlife and to be able to understand what you are seeing.
Cottonmouth

At first I did not really know too much about Cypress trees. After reading about their biology, being both fire tolerant and able to withstand being underwater, and seeing how massive they can be, I have grown to appreciate them. It’s not only the large organisms I am proud to be able to identify. I enjoy being able to recognize the small flowers like the Glades Morning Glory. Identifying and learning about bugs is something I did not think would interest me. However, last week I participated in a butterfly survey. After spending a day identifying the butterflies, we saw, I have grown to appreciate the small creatures as well. I now try to identify insects just because it is exciting to associate them with their species name. During the butterfly survey, I was thinking to myself that a dragonfly survey be cool. The dragonflies in Corkscrew - like the butterflies - come in many different colors and should be appreciated as much as the bigger organisms in Corkscrew.
Glades Morning Glory
Phaon Cresent


















Barred Owl
Besides using ones eyes, I would encourage using the ears too. It is hard to see animals like birds and frogs. Although you may not be able to see them, you can hear them and if you try to learn the sounds of these animals, even if it is just the common ones, you will find yourself proud of knowing what is that animal you hear. Just a few weeks ago, I heard this bizarre noise while walking the boardwalk. It sounded like a bird, but nothing I had ever come across. After using the Audubon app to listen to bird noises, I found out it was a Barred Owl! Even though I did not see it, I was excited to learn what animal made that noise! Luckily, I saw the barred owl the next day, so I was quite happy. Still, when walking through Corkscrew, I suggest from time to time you stop for a moment and simply listen to the sounds around you. 


I know when I go back to University in Colorado, I will not be able to see all this wildlife that Corkscrew has to offer. One of the things I want to take with me though is this appreciation of what I am experiencing, such as noticing local plants when hiking, listening to what birds are chirping, and looking at the small insects. While I may not see a panther right outside my dorm, I can still take time to understand where I am. Knowing both the history of places and paying attention to what you are seeing is a great way to boost your self-awareness and knowledge of why things are here in the first place. For me, I have grown to admire how Audubon has been able to protect Corkscrew. It is easy to take for granted the wildlife you see here, but it is important to understand the sacrifices people made and the history behind keeping wildlife and natural areas protected here in Florida, like Corkscrew. I am very grateful for those who have made this possible.
Alligator

No comments:

Post a Comment